Mrs Donkanha, Mrs Scott, and Miss Potter welcome you to Year 3!
Over the year, we cover the following topics:
Gods and Mortals:
The children have the opportunity to learn all about the Ancient Greeks.
• Research the Greek Gods and Goddesses
• Learn about daily life in Ancient Greece
• Experience some of the sports from the Ancient Greek Olympics
• Compare their lifestyle to that of the Ancient Greeks
In computing lessons we are learning how to code. Click on this link to see what we will be learning:
Our term so far…
We re-enacted the story of the Trojan Horse!
We are learning all about how important rivers are. We have visited the River Tees and cruised along it on the Teesside Princess. Then we visited the Tees Barrage.
We recreated our journey along the Tees and recalled all of the bridges we had sailed under.
We identifies the features of a recount to prepare for writing our own recounts about our amazing trip!
In science we learned about the water cycle!
In Computing we are learning all about spreadsheets. Click on this link to see what we will be learning:
In our first week back in January, we started our topic – Tremors!
Children will be learning all about volcanoes around the world, what causes them and the devastation they can bring.
• Explore the world’s most famous volcanoes and look at the Ring of Fire
• Discover how volcanoes erupt and the causes
• Investigate different types of rocks and their properties.
Week commencing 13th January 2020:
In maths, we have been looking at fractions. We have started by finding fractions of an amount. We used counters to help us.
Week commencing 20th January 2020:
We have been making model volcanoes. We used newspaper and Mod-Roc to create the form and then we painted them. They are now ready to use for our explosive experiment next week!
Week commencing 27th January 2020:
We have been learning about what a glossary is in non-fiction texts. We used our topic knowledge to help us.
Week commencing 3rd February 2020:
This week we have started studying Macbeth by William Shakespeare. We are working in conjunction with the Royal Shakespeare Company and other schools in the local area.
We started by looking at the character of Macbeth and using our knowledge we drew pictures of what we thought he might have looked like. Then we summarised the story so far…
Week commencing 10th February 2020:
This week we have been investigating the character of Lady Macbeth and her initial response to Macbeth’s letter. We also looked at the relationship between Banquo and Macbeth.
This topic allows children to find out all about how chocolate is made.
• Research the journey of a Cocoa bean
• Look at a balanced diet and why it is so important
• Visit York’s Chocolate Story to deepen and consolidate our knowledge
During this topic, children explore the world of forces!
• explore the properties of a range of materials
• discover the artistic properties of metals and what they can produce